|• Total||12.565 km2 (4.851 sq mi)|
6,371.3/km2 (16,502/sq mi)
Watthana became a separate district by a split from Khlong Toei in 1998 to provide better service to its population. The district obtained its name from Princess Galyani Vadhana, the elder sister of King Bhumibol Adulyadej. Watthana or Vadhana means development. The area is among the most developed parts of Bangkok.
On 1 January 2009, Watthana was the location of the Santika Club fire, which killed 66 and injured 222.
Comprising the area between Sukhumvit Road and Khlong Saen Saep, Watthana is one of the commercial districts in Bangkok with lots of condominiums and hotels. A lot of expatriates of many nationalities live there.
- Sukhumvit Road - Vendors selling counterfeit DVDs, T-shirts and tourist trinkets clog the sidewalks from Soi 3 to Soi 15.
- Foodland - One of the branches of the Thai grocery chain is located on Soi 5. It also has a 24-hour coffee shop.
- Terminal 21 is a mixed-use complex near Sukhumvit Road 21, near the Asok intersection. It opened in October 2011 and is now one of the major shopping centres.
- EmQuartier - a shopping centre opened in 2015. It is located opposite of Emporium (which is in Khlong Toei District) and is operated by the same owner, The Mall Group.
- Villa Plaza - Located between the Sukhumvit 33 nightlife area and Soi 31, the plaza is a shopping and entertainment area anchored by the Villa (open 24 hours) and Fuji supermarkets. It also has some Japanese-only clubs, as well as British-style pubs.
- Thong Lo - This street has become trendy in recent years, with a number of upscale restaurants and "boutique" shopping centres.
- Major Sukhumvit - A large branch of the Major Cineplex cinema chain is located near Ekkamai BTS Station, with a bowling alley, restaurants and shops.
Dining and entertainment
- "Little Africa" - Near the Grace Hotel, there's a network of alleys between Nana Nuea (means Northern Nana) or Sukhumvit Soi 3, and Soi 5 that is home to many Middle Eastern restaurants.
- Soi Cowboy - Nightlife strip with go-go bars is located off Asok, near the intersection with Sukhumvit.
- Bumrungrad International Hospital - a Major medical centre that caters to tourists is on Soi Sukhumvit 3.
- Samitivej Hospital - Another upper-class hospital, it's located on Soi Sukhumvit 49.
- Camillian Hospital - A small Catholic hospital on Thong Lo.
- Sukhumvit Hospital - Located near the Bangkok Skytrain Ekkamai station.