Nong Chok (หนองจอก)

Area - 236.261 km2 (91.221 sq mi)

Population - 167,844

 

History

The district was established as an amphoe in 1897 during the reign of King Chulalongkorn. The original settlers were Muslims relocated from southern Thailand. In 1902, it became an amphoe of the newly setup Min Buri Province. Due to economic hardship during 1930-31, Min Buri Province was disbanded in 1931 and Nong Chok was transferred to Chachoengsao Province. However the administration was moved under Bangkok the next year due to inconveniece of travel between Nong Chok and Chachoengsao. Today about 75% of the population are Muslims while 22% are buddhists. The name Nong Chok means water lettuce (Pistia stratiotes) swamp.