Bang Khun Thian บางขุนเทียน
Area 120.687 km2 (46.598 sq mi)
Population 179,768 people
Bang Khun Thian is Bangkok's southernmost district, and the only one having access to the sea.
Bang Khun Thian is a very old district, believed to have been established in 1867 as an amphoe of Thon Buri.
In 1972, Thon Buri and Phra Nakhon provinces were combined into Bangkok Metropolis, and administrative units in the newly combined capital province were renamed from amphoe and tambon to district (khet) and sub-district (khwaeng). Thus, Bang Khun Thian became a district of Bangkok, comprising seven sub-districts: Bang Khun Thian, Bang Kho, Chom Thong, Bang Mot, Tha Kham, Bang Bon, and Samae Dam.
Due to population increases, a portion of Bang Khun Thian district was set up with its own district office and called Bang Khun Thian Branch 1. This new unit oversaw four sub-districts: Bang Khun Thian, Bang Kho, Bang Mot, and Chom Thong.
In 1989, Bang Khun Thian Branch 1 was made a full district, now called Chom Thong district.
In 1997, Bang Bon sub-district was separated from Bang Khun Thian and became its own district.
Bang Khun Thian has Bangkok's only sea shore. The coastline of about 5 km long is muddy, containing mangrove forests and shrimp farms. The only way to access the Gulf of Thailand is via boat. A group of crab-eating macaque (Macaca fascicularis, Thai ลิงแสม), a kind of monkey, inhabits the coast near the sea. A fishing community is located there and the sea coast is famous for the seafood restaurants.
Important temples in the district include Wat Kamphaeng (วัดกำแพง), Wat Kok (วัดกก), and Wat Bang Kradi (วัดบางกระดี่).
Central Plaza Rama II is one of the biggest shopping malls in Thailand.