Bang Khen บางเขน
Area 42.123 km2 (16.264 sq mi)
Population 190,828 people
Bang Khen was established as an amphoe of Phra Nakhon Province in 1897.
In 1972, the provinces of Thonburi and Phra Nakhon were combined and called jointly Krung Thep Maha Nakhon. Administrative units within the capital were renamed "districts" (khet) and "sub-district" (khwaeng), replacing "amphoe" and "tambon", respectively. Bang Khen thus became a district of the newly combined province. At that time it had eight sub-districts.
Bang Khen was once a very large district, but has been greatly reduced in size after several modifications to district boundaries. In 1989, the western portion and southwestern areas were split off to create Don Mueang and Chatuchak, respectively. In 1997, a northern portion of Bang Khen was split off to create the Sai Mai District, but in the same reorganization Bang Khen received Moo 8-10 of Chorakhe Bua Sub-district from Lat Phrao District.
- Wat Phra Si Mahathat Wora Maha Wiharn (วัดพระศรีมหาธาตุวรมหาวิหาร) Temple of Holy Relics
- Constitutional Protection Monument (อนุสาวรีย์พิทักษ์รัฐธรรมนูญ) at Lak Si Circle (วงเวียนหลักสี่)
- Sathira Dhammasathan (เสถียรธรรมสถาน) Buddhist Retreat Center
- Ying Charoen Market (ตลาดยิ่งเจริญ) or Saphan Mai Market (ตลาดสะพานใหม่). The original name of Saphan Mai was Saphan Sukoranakhaseni (สะพานสุกรนาคเสนีย์).